Boating Courses for Sailing
Beginner, intermediate or advanced — whatever your skill level, our in-depth boating education courses will boost your knowledge and confidence on the water.
- America’s Boating Course gives you the basics you need to get out on the water safely, and it meets most state boating education requirements. Now available in Spanish.
- Sail lets you learn about basic sailboat designs and nomenclature, rigging, and safety from experienced sailors. Then tackle the physical aspects of all forces and techniques, sail applications, marlinespike, helmsman ship, and handling of difficult all conditions.
- Boat Handling builds your competence and confidence on the water with an in-depth look at the practical boating skills. Also available online.
- Marine Navigation and Advanced Marine Navigation give you the skills you need to get where you’re going using charts and marine electronics as well as a knowledge of winds, currents and tides.
- Offshore Navigation and Celestial Navigation, a must for oceangoing captains, teach you about planning and monitoring your voyage using modern marine electronics and how celestial observations can help you estimate your vessel’s position with confidence.
- Cruising and Cruise Planning prepare you for a multi-day voyage.
- Engine Maintenance gives you information on how engines work and basic maintenance procedures, as well as how to recognize problems.
- Marine Electrical Systems provides information on Alternating and Direct current, as well as boat electrical systems
- Marine Communications Systems explains the different types of radios and communication options
- Electronic Navigation gives you basic information on the various electronic devices available today that help you navigate and select routes
- Radar for Boaters gives you basic information on radar
- Weather is a detailed study of the causes of weather, various types of storms, clouds, and predicting weather